So we had some excitement in our family this week. As most of you know, my sister is due on June 9th. On Tuesday night I got a text from my mom telling me that she and my sister (who is currently at 34 weeks) were at the hospital because my sister, was having contractions 8 minutes apart. She was also starting to dilate.
Of course I immediately freaked out and kept calling my mom until she answered.
Turns out she was having more "irritation" type contractions and not actual labor contractions. However, if they didn't stop the contractions quick there was a good chance a baby would have been born.
They put her on some meds (to stop the contractions) and kept her in the hospital until yesterday afternoon. They pulled her off the meds at about 1am this Thursday morning and monitored her to make sure the contractions didn't come back. They also gave her a couple steroid shots as preventive measures in case the little one decided to arrive. A 34 week delivery is technically passed the safe point, but they prefer to hold off as long as they can because it's still in the danger zone. Baby would have just had to hang out in the NICU for a couple days.
I'm happy to report that mom and baby are great. Baby is still in the oven and sister is resting at home. She's been advised to stay home from work until Wednesday. She'll then go back to work part-time, and get back into full-time until the baby comes.
So I'm not quite an aunt yet, but I have a feeling it might happen sooner than we expect .